Sunday, February 14, 2016

Condolence to My Country's Reversing Progress.

Ciao!
Sorry for the unpleasing title of this post, but that is how I myself personally interpret the current situation in my country, Indonesia. 
Earlier today, I saw a post shared by a friend of mine in Facebook telling about the Indonesian authorities' decision to ban the 'homosexual' emojis in messaging apps like Whatsapp, LINE, Facebook, etc. WOOF! Getting stormed, I believe this growing issue of LGBT community's rejection is worth a post.
Read more here
Read more here
Read more here



This is the umpteenth time I get so overwhelmed by my people's conservative exaggeration. You have far more crucial things to handle and keep your eyes on, my dear government! These two recent weeks, you have exaggerated too much. Last time it was the authorities' uproar and campaign against the celebration of Valentine's Day. And now, a ban on messaging apps' homosexual emojis. Just because we live in a Muslim-majority country, that does not mean we can run everything with basis on Islamic Laws. This is an oppression of human rights, and I see that this country I have taken so much pride in has faced a setback.
There is no law saying homosexual illegal in Indonesia, then how dare they oppress its existence?
Instead of focusing on these things, why don't you halt the prolonged oppression that our fellow Indonesians in West Papua have to live under from time to time and start to treat them humanely as how they are supposedly treated? Or why don't you fight to ban the multinational companies, which have exploited our richness in natural & mineral resources, polluted every aspect of our environment, earned as much profit as they possibly could and taken away the rights of the native community? How about the thousands of corruptors that this country sadly has. Have their cases been justly judged? My fellow students in the rural areas of Borneo, Sumatra, Sulawesi, Maluku and Papua have also faced a struggle of survival to keep their hopes alive by getting good education. Sadly, their spirit of progression has not been fully supported with the sufficient facility and infrastructure. I believe that those are just smattering of epitomes that my government should have focused on and fixed long ago. Then why concerning so much on such trivial things?
Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/indonesia-bans-gay-emoji-a6872086.html
 Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-12/indonesia-bans-gay-emojis-on-messaging-apps/7164674

If the educational institutions, which are supposed to embrace the students for education and carry out the understanding approach, build up a fence of barbed-wire against them - then how could the general public even understand and accept them? 

And this saddening law. Read more here
To my fellow Indonesians, instead of discriminating against the LGBT community, you better praise to God for being created 'normally' as how you consider the majority is. But not everyone is like you. Try to listen and understand. It is just the matter of understanding.
P.S. I'm muslim and heterosexual, but I don't believe it allows me to be intolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment